Upper cervical chiropractic therapy in Escondido provides more than just pain relief to its numerous patients. If you are someone recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, then you don’t need people to tell you about the widespread body pain, extreme fatigue, sleep problems, fibro fog, and other symptoms you experience. Fibromyalgia (FM) is a chronic and long-term condition. Currently, it affects twice more women than men. It is also often diagnosed during a person’s middle adulthood.
Quick Fibromyalgia Facts
Contrary to popular belief, it’s not true that fibromyalgia only exists in people’s minds. The realities of dealing with this chronic health condition are real. Before getting a chiropractic therapy in Escondido, we want you to have a look at these interesting facts about FM. The possible complications and experiences associated with FM include the following:
- Fibromyalgia patients are twice more likely to become hospitalized than those without this condition.
- There is a higher rate of depression noted in adults with fibromyalgia. Also, there is a higher death rate due to serious critical injuries and from suicides.
- Fibromyalgia occurs with an increased risk of contracting other rheumatic conditions. These include lupus, ankylosing spondylitis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Women with fibromyalgia are 2/3 more prone to suffer mental health problems.
Fibromyalgia is not an autoimmune condition, nor is it an inflammation-based one. Research points to problems within the nervous system as a highly potential cause. However, understanding fibromyalgia can be quite frustrating due to a significant lack of a firmly recognized cause.
Fibromyalgia And Its Link to the Central Nervous System
The brain, brainstem, and spinal cord are the components of the body’s central nervous system (CNS). In fibromyalgia cases, there is a miscommunication or disturbance in how the brain can process other sensory information and pain signals. What happens is that there is an amplification of pain messages. For example, a simple touch or regularly feeling not painful becomes something excruciating by those with fibromyalgia.
This occurrence is known as central sensitization. As a result, a person becomes significantly more sensitive to things that generally hurt and those that don’t usually hurt, such as average levels of pressure and touch. There is a much heightened sense of pain and a longer duration for the pain to persist before dissipating. For this reason, many depend on chiropractic therapy in Escondido for proper care to their fibromyalgia.
Due to the unavailability of specific tests that produce definite results, a fibromyalgia diagnosis will be according to its symptoms. Most fibromyalgia patients experience widespread aches all over their bodies. Here are the other common accompanying symptoms:
- Widespread pain combined with tender points all over the body
- Fatigue – no matter how adequate rest or sleep you already had
- Insomnia, and other sleep difficulties
- Numbness with or without tingling in the extremities
- Problems with memory and concentration (fibro-fog)
- Anxiety or depression
- Painful menstrual periods in women
Long before a fibromyalgia diagnosis gets done, most patients will endure a long and challenging road of doctor visits and diagnostic tests. It is usually the demanding process required to rule out other probable health issues since fibromyalgia shares its common warning signs with many other illnesses.
The Brainstem and Fibromyalgia
Upper cervical chiropractic therapy in Escondido is an exact and gentle type of chiropractic that deals with the root cause of fibromyalgia. It focuses on keeping the C1 (atlas) and C2 (axis) bones in the upper cervical spine properly aligned. This particular region of the spine protects the delicate and highly valuable brainstem. The value and functions of the brainstem cannot be understated.
The brainstem is responsible for several primary functions, including:
- Runs various life-sustaining functions in the body (digestion, breathing, and blood circulation)
- Ensuring the body’s ability to function normally
- Links the spinal cord to the brain
- Controls the involuntary muscles of the heart and stomach
- Acts as the relay station for the millions of messages and signals reaching the body and the brain
- Processes body temperature, sensation, and pain signals
- Regulates awareness, consciousness, and alertness
The atlas and axis vertebrae, when properly positioned, both provide a sturdy and robust layer of protection for the delicate nerves and tissues of the brainstem.
However, any of these functions mentioned above can go wrong when an upper cervical misalignment happens. As a result, the misaligned bones disrupt the brainstem’s various responsibilities. It’s easy to understand how pain processing can affect the pain levels and sleep hormones if you have FM.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic Makes Pain Relief Accessible
Here at Rickards Chiropractic & Wellness, our chiropractic therapy in Escondido CA helps anyone fix their upper cervical spine misalignments. Upper cervical chiropractors like us will only give you an adjustment specifically tailored for your needs. We indeed take the time necessary to use thorough diagnostics and check-ups. We always ensure that you are responding positively to the gentle and precise corrections that we make.
You might find that the roots of your fibromyalgia symptoms originate from the central nervous system and that upper cervical chiropractic care can correct the root cause of the problem. Once misaligned bones are correctly adjusted, fibromyalgia patients can enjoy reduction in their FM symptoms and pain.
Call us at (760) 745-1511 or send us a message online.